An obvious argument against christianity

Started by Jannabear, May 29, 2016, 06:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannabear

An obvious argument against the morality of christianity that many pass up is this.
"Would you go to hell if you didn't know about the story of jesus and god."
If yes
"why would god punish someone for something they can't control?"
if no
"why would you spread this message then, if people would go to heaven regardless if they don't know, why would you tell them?
(This isn't an argument original to me)

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jannabear on May 29, 2016, 06:58:56 PM
An obvious argument against the morality of christianity that many pass up is this.
If yes
if no
"why would you spread this message then, if people would go to heaven regardless if they don't know, why would you tell them?
No this isn't original to you.  But it is an interesting argument anyway.  I have always chuckled about the answers of of my christian friends try to pass off--tie themselves into all kinds of knots.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

No different that the idea of the flood. Million of little children HAD to suffer. God made sure of this. What was the point when an almighty god could as easily waved his hand, or….even easier for a god…make himself more believable eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

A Christian woman told me one time, if you never heard of Jesus and God, you go to Hell.  That's why they have missionaries they send to every corner of the Earth. Missionaries even out the playing field and give everyone exposure to Christianity.  But then, even Christians in her own church told me they often disagreed with her on some issues.  I'm just pointing to her, because she's the only Christian that I asked.  When I asked her about undiscovered Amazon tribes (this conversation took place 55 years ago when we were still discovering Amazon tribes), she shrugged her shoulders, and just repeated that they went to Hell.  "Win a few lose a few.  We do what we can.  Can't save everybody,"  and she followed that up with a vindictive grin that sent shivers down my spine.

Baruch

Imperialism is a gift that keeps on giving.  And religion is a handmaiden to imperialism (see Constantine and Umar).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I had this conversation recently. If people who haven't heard the gospel get a free pass, then we should burn every Bible and hide the gospel as best as we can. Otherwise, we risk people hearing it and rejecting it.

If people go to Hell even when they've never even had any reason to think that Jesus exists, then God is a monster.

If God only allows good people a free pass, then why do we need Jesus? Good works are enough to save.

No matter how you spin it, you can't get around this issue.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on May 30, 2016, 10:34:27 AM
Imperialism is a gift that keeps on giving.  And religion is a handmaiden to imperialism (see Constantine and Umar).

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Quote from: aitm on May 29, 2016, 09:54:56 PM
No different that the idea of the flood. Million of little children HAD to suffer. God made sure of this. What was the point when an almighty god could as easily waved his hand, or….even easier for a god…make himself more believable eh?
"Need an ark? I Noah guy..."

:celebrate:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Jack89

Quote from: Jannabear on May 29, 2016, 06:58:56 PM
If yes
if no
From a Catholic perspective - No, you won't go to hell just because you don't know about Jesus and God.  You spread the word because there are better ways to heaven than others.  What I find interesting is how people perceive heaven and hell.  I'm leaning toward a state of mind developed by the way you live your life.  Is that something that persists after you die, and if so, in what way?  Is heaven harps, clouds and winged angels, or is it the positive affect you have on others during your life?

SGOS

Quote from: Jack89 on June 09, 2016, 12:37:11 PM
What I find interesting is how people perceive heaven and hell.

I've spent time in the past inventing concepts of Heaven, but not so much Hell.  But no one knows anything about them.  That's "nothing", nothing at all, as in zip, nada.  There has never been an eye witness account.  It's likely a myth, and even if it was real, you would have to have a functioning brain to experience them.  The best that science tells us (It's only the best we can do, since only religion claims perfect knowledge [you know... religion; that concept invented by cave men]) is that when you die, your brain stops functioning.  The electrochemical circuits shut down and no consciousness experience exists.  Of course, science can be wrong, as any wizard or alchemist will gladly tell you.

Baruch

As best I can tell from personal experience, being dead is like being in a dreamless sleep ... which pretty much means you have no awareness and no thought.  But that might be better than being aware and thinking about that awareness ... depends.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on June 09, 2016, 06:19:31 PM
As best I can tell from personal experience, being dead is like being in a dreamless sleep ...
You were dead? We won't know anything about being dead, as our brains will cease to function.

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 09, 2016, 06:21:29 PM
You were dead? We won't know anything about being dead, as our brains will cease to function.

I don't "know" anything about dreamless sleep either ... but I do it several times every night (so medicine tells me).  My personal experience, positive or negative (I was describing dreamless sleep negatively ... not awake, not dreaming) is pretty reliable on this point.  Your epistemology only colors inside the box I see.  Do you see death as being something different that dreamless sleep?  If you do, on what justification sir ;-)  Or maybe you are dreamless sleep agnostic, or death agnostic?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on June 09, 2016, 06:26:21 PM
Do you see death as being something different that dreamless sleep?  If you do, on what justification sir ;-)  Or maybe you are dreamless sleep agnostic, or death agnostic?
When you are having dreamless sleep, you are alive.

How did you get personal experience being dead?

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 09, 2016, 06:28:58 PM
When you are having dreamless sleep, you are alive.

How did you get personal experience being dead?

Drums fingers on desk ... I am making a reasonable extrapolation.  That and I have been to a few funerals.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.