Comet Discovered To Contain Building Blocks Of Life

Started by stromboli, May 29, 2016, 01:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://nr.news-republic.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=55&articleid=65388145&source=redditisfun

QuoteIt turns out that comets have been responsible for spreading some of the key ingredients for life throughout the solar system. The European Space Agency has announced that its Rosetta probe has detected some of these building blocks of life within the dust and gas that surrounds Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Scientists suggest this is the process that could have led to such chemical building blocks being delivered to a newly-formed Earth long ago.

The ESA says among the key organic compounds that Rosetta discovered are phosphorus, which is a component of DNA, and the amino acid glycine, which is used to make proteins. This suggests that comets and asteroids that made contact with our planet as it formed may have resulted in an increase of life-related compounds.

Glycine was previously discovered on another comet, Wild 2, back in 2006, but it was believed the samples suffered from contamination when landing on Earth, creating problems with their scientific analysis. But this new discovery is "the first unambiguous detection of glycine at a comet," says a new research paper published in Science Advances.

"Having found glycine in more than one comet shows that neither Wild 2 nor 67P are exceptions," said lead researcher Kathrin Altwegg, adding that Rosetta's discovery backs up the theory that amino acids are commonly found "in regions of the universe where stars and planets have formed."

Panspermia anybody? (love that word- try to use it in conversation with theists) We are star dust, yada yada. I just took a "stardust" dump earlier......

Baruch

Spontaneous assembly of complex molecules does happen.  But the conditions ideal for this might not be on Earth, or in the present geological era.  Carbonaceous chondrites (a kind of meteorite for example).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason78

How much of my recommended daily allowance of glycine is in Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

aitm

wherever there is the building blocks of life, you can be sure the ignorant will claim jebus is there as well.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Flanker1Six

Quote from: aitm on May 29, 2016, 05:38:26 PM
wherever there is the building blocks of life, you can be sure the ignorant will claim jebus is there as well.

You beat me to it, damnit!   

I can remember more than one Baptist mentor from my pre fallen days; when an alternative "scientific/natural" explanation was brought up in relation to a  sales brochure (aka the bible) "miracle"; saying something like; "Well, how do you know God didn't do it that way?".