News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Captain Americas.. a Nazi?

Started by Munch, May 28, 2016, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 29, 2016, 12:36:57 AM

This one bugs me because in many of the older issues, Tony Stark stays away from the bottle.  There's even a scene where he refuses alcohol, citing his alcholism and his fear that he'd relapse.

Maybe its not the alcohol thing, its the part with him saying thanks.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hydra009

Quote from: Nonsensei on May 29, 2016, 09:09:35 AMMaybe its not the alcohol thing, its the part with him saying thanks.
Touché.

Quote from: Munch on May 29, 2016, 04:17:02 AM
As others have pointed out on other forums, hydra is the antithesis of everything captain America fought against, and going back to comics as early has the 70s shows it.
It's very obvious Nick Spencer has ignored 75 years of character, not bothered to look back at caps history while making this up, it all just creates such juicy spin for the comic.

Of course newspapers are now saying the nick Spencer is receiving death threats on Twitter, when really it's nothing more then people hoping he gets hit by a bus, which isn't a death threat to me.
I think it's just the juicy spin thing.  I'm pretty sure the writer knows that Cap fights nazis/hydra.  It's hard to miss that.  One of the variant covers is a recreation of the iconic Cap punching out Hitler cover.  Plus, the comic has quite a lot of references to Cap's history.  They're just going for shock value here.  And since there's buzz and I'm reading a comic I would have otherwise ignored, it's definitely working.

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 29, 2016, 08:43:46 AM
I worry more about Hydra009 than any other Hydra.
:P

QuoteBut, where, exactly, is the Red Skull right now?
He's in the US, rabble-rousing with nativist talking points very similar to typical conservative rhetoric.  I suspect it is subtle political commentary on current attitudes towards immigration/immigrants.

aitm

meh, I remember a movie where superman went all ass-hole for about 90% of the movie and i remember a TV series where they killed off the character for an entire series and them brought him back via, "it was only a dream".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 28, 2016, 10:58:34 PM
I desperately want Darth Jar Jar to be a thing.

Have you watched Episode i assuming it is a thing? I don't know how it can't be.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: aitm on May 29, 2016, 05:50:05 PM
meh, I remember a movie where superman went all ass-hole for about 90% of the movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yIpXdQmKDg

My GF is a Wonder Woman fan. We have this print on our living room wall.

I still enjoy the camp and beauty in the Linda Carter show. I like Batman 66 as well. It's nice to finally have DVDs.

gentle_dissident

I'll guess that Marvel's doing this to let DC think it has a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVRptUJocAo

Hydra009

Before we completely segue to something else, I'd like to point out that Silver Age Cap briefly went nazi:

PickelledEggs

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PickelledEggs

drunkenshoe

I think we are going to get some peace when every beloved character loved by a random group gets to be questioned about being a Nazi or a some sort of a Hitler and finally there is no one left? How many left again?

Consequences of demonising a group into dimensions of a fantasy evil monsters by stripping from reality and seeing things through religous categories? Believers call it satan, seculars call it nazi, hitler... wohooooo...Is Vatican evil? is this evil? is this eeeeevııııııııııl?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

drunkenshoe

The only thing that^ reminds me is this:

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp