News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Captain Americas.. a Nazi?

Started by Munch, May 28, 2016, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Yep, you probably heard it around, but its offical, according to the current marvel writer for the new captain america comic, but steve rogers, the real captain america, is infact and has been all along a member of hydra:

http://time.com/4347224/captain-america-hydra-agent-marvel-tom-brevoort/

Incase you didn't know, hydra has been a long time enemy of captain america, lead by the red skull and is kind of a offshot nazi organisation with its own agenda.

According to the writer of the book, Nick Spencer, who started work on the captain america series back in 2014, is saying that this captain america is not a clone, not mind manipulated, not an alternative reality version of him, but THE captain america, the canon one, whos comics people have been reading since 1940, when he faught against the nazis in his comics.

He was created by jack kirby and Joe Simon, who both were jewish, and at the time wanted to create a character who represented america idealism against the third reich.

So 75 years on, Nick Spencer says he's had this idea for several years now, and wants to basicly fuck up a character who for three quarters of a century has represented heroism, not just american heroism, but one who represents it as a standard (I've even got a captain america model in my room along with other marvel characters).

I think Chris Evans said it best.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Munch

Gawdzilla Sama

I got over comic books in 1961.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

QuoteI got over comic books in 1961.

"Looks at calvin avatar* No you haven't, don't tell fibs.

Hakurei Reimu

Please, as if comic book writers haven't been bullshitting themselves out of tighter spots for decades. One of the alternatives will materialize as soon as Nick Spencer "moves on."
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Draconic Aiur

gentle_dissident

His nationalism was what I didn't like about Marvel. This is almost as good as Jar Jar being a Sith Lord.

Hydra009

I've been checking out the reactions online.  One More Day has nothing on this.  I shall read it and report back.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: gentle_dissident on May 28, 2016, 09:38:20 PM
His nationalism was what I didn't like about Marvel. This is almost as good as Jar Jar being a Sith Lord.
I desperately want Darth Jar Jar to be a thing.

I'm okay with whatever Marvel wants to do, provided they can do it well.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on May 28, 2016, 07:41:46 PM

"Looks at calvin avatar* No you haven't, don't tell fibs.
My wife picked that one out for me. Something about it being perfect...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Okay, I'm up to speed.  It's actually not a bad comic.  I think most of the flak is that we're so used to good ol' Cap that it's upsetting to see him go off the deep end like this.  But good guys temporarily going evil isn't a new thing.  And we all know that this isn't going to stick - it's going to be retconned out.  So meh, my jimmies remain rustled.

Plus, I think I know the exact reason Steve's going full Hydra:

[spoiler]In his childhood, Steve's mum gets Chris Browned by his dad.  But a mysterious woman intervenes, treats her to dinner, and invites her to a concerned citizens meeting while suggesting that she bring young Steve with her.  She then hands Mrs Rogers a flyer with the hydra symbol on it.

It's almost certainly some sort of Manchurian candidate kind of thing.  Dormant, long-term brainwashing.  I know the creator said that's not it, but it sure looks like it.  I'd bet my Darkhawk #25 that it'll turn out to be something like that.  Plus, Cap made statements to the effect that he feels "like a stranger in his own body" and he looked a Hydra suicide bomber in the eyes and "nothing was there".  Big red flag.  Brainwashing.  Final answer.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 28, 2016, 07:41:46 PM

This one bugs me because in many of the older issues, Tony Stark stays away from the bottle.  There's even a scene where he refuses alcohol, citing his alcholism and his fear that he'd relapse.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 29, 2016, 12:12:47 AM
Okay, I'm up to speed.  It's actually not a bad comic.  I think most of the flak is that we're so used to good ol' Cap that it's upsetting to see him go off the deep end like this.  But good guys temporarily going evil isn't a new thing.  And we all know that this isn't going to stick - it's going to be retconned out.  So meh, my jimmies remain rustled.

Plus, I think I know the exact reason Steve's going full Hydra:

[spoiler]In his childhood, Steve's mum gets Chris Browned by his dad.  But a mysterious woman intervenes, treats her to dinner, and invites her to a concerned citizens meeting while suggesting that she bring young Steve with her.  She then hands Mrs Rogers a flyer with the hydra symbol on it.

It's almost certainly some sort of Manchurian candidate kind of thing.  Dormant, long-term brainwashing.  I know the creator said that's not it, but it sure looks like it.  I'd bet my Darkhawk #25 that it'll turn out to be something like that.  Plus, Cap made statements to the effect that he feels "like a stranger in his own body" and he looked a Hydra suicide bomber in the eyes and "nothing was there".  Big red flag.  Brainwashing.  Final answer.[/spoiler]

As others have pointed out on other forums, hydra is the antithesis of everything captain America fought against, and going back to comics as early has the 70s shows it.
It's very obvious Nick Spencer has ignored 75 years of character, not bothered to look back at caps history while making this up, it all just creates such juicy spin for the comic.

Of course newspapers are now saying the nick Spencer is receiving death threats on Twitter, when really it's nothing more then people hoping he gets hit by a bus, which isn't a death threat to me.

Gawdzilla Sama

I worry more about Hydra009 than any other Hydra.

But, where, exactly, is the Red Skull right now?
PZ Myers