I'm sorry... But there's no nice way to say this.

Started by noneHalos, March 27, 2013, 02:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary"The bible (which one?) is so ambiguous it can be used for any opinion, but not for facts. I have used it to support my atheist posts with believers. "I find both prophet and priest profane." for example. There is a very good reason for the terms zygote and fetus, because that's what they are. Even if abortion was wrong, or not to be done according to the bible, and illegal, does anyone think it would stop it from being done?
A lot of them actually do think that there were no abortions performed before Roe v. Wade.  There were even legal abortions performed by doctors in hospitals back then.  Just about every state, including those in the Bible Belt, had legal exemptions.  (and many doctors performed abortions, but recorded them as miscarriages.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

gussy

If these people went back to biblical times they would be horrified.  A child born with abnormalities would be smothered to death by the mother.  The second daughter didn't stand much of a chance.  Be glad we don't try too hard to emulate those people.

Krisyork2008

I heard it phrased really well once. These people aren't pro-life at all; they're pro-birth.

If they cared at all about the life of the future child they would consider whether it makes sense to bring them into the world when their biological parent doesn't want them.
Quote from: \"sweetjesus\"you cant push a dog into a pond and it turn into a fish-- evolution is rong. Why we still got monkeys?"?
Quote from: \"GurrenLagann\"Can\'t handle criticism? Find another species. \":)\"
"The catholic church is not a force for good, and fuck you for saying so." - Matt Dillahunty
"The holy spirit can\'t hold a pen." -Russel Brand

Colanth

Quote from: "gussy"If these people went back to biblical times they would be horrified.  A child born with abnormalities would be smothered to death by the mother.  The second daughter didn't stand much of a chance.  Be glad we don't try too hard to emulate those people.
They don't want to go back to real Biblical times, they want to go back to the fictional "Biblical times" the Church has sold them on.  You know, the times that never really happened?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

The original Hawaiians used to think a child that was born with defects was special and a god and clubbed to death. When my wife, son (who has scoliosis), and I were there a man came up to us as we were sitting and kept coming leaving pineapples at my son's feet. Later that day we took a walk and had older people kneeling in front of him in reverence. I asked a man about why older people were doing that to my son. He told me that if he survived being born he was a god of the highest order. We stayed away from the older people that still believed in the old ways after that. So now you know why Hawaiians are so big and strong, they killed off the weak at one time. This was evolution at work. Bill
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.