News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any hams out there?

Started by trdsf, May 26, 2016, 01:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Finally went and got my Technician license at Dayton Hamvention last week -- any other amateur radio operators out there?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

gentle_dissident

I'd love to be one some day. I get the feeling there's not a lot of room for discourse, though.

trdsf

Quote from: gentle_dissident on May 26, 2016, 01:48:44 PM
I'd love to be one some day. I get the feeling there's not a lot of room for discourse, though.
Not sure what you mean.  Hams generally love to talk (whence the hobby) although there's a custom of avoiding contentious subjects on the air, and a radio conversation can be as free-flowing as an in-person one (albeit with no strong language -- against FCC rules).  You also have to keep in mind that there in no privacy; anything you say over the air can be picked up by anyone else.

I've already found it's a lot of fun to just scan and listen.  Many city, county and state services operate on bands that even my little handheld can pick up, and there is definitely a 24x7 National Weather Service feed in your area (assuming you're in the States).  That's the main reason I finally took the plunge: I'm a spotter for the NWS and they recommend getting at least the basic (Tech) license and a handheld because amateur radio will still work even if the phone lines are down.

Also, they no longer require Morse code (which is what held me off for so long), and they no longer charge to request a vanity call sign (although it will still have to conform to certain requirements).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

gentle_dissident

Quote from: trdsf on May 27, 2016, 01:30:40 PM
Not sure what you mean.  Hams generally love to talk (whence the hobby) although there's a custom of avoiding contentious subjects on the air
That's what I meant.

I've already found it's a lot of fun to just scan and listen.  Many city, county and state services operate on bands that even my little handheld can pick up, and there is definitely a 24x7 National Weather Service feed in your area (assuming you're in the States).  That's the main reason I finally took the plunge: I'm a spotter for the NWS and they recommend getting at least the basic (Tech) license and a handheld because amateur radio will still work even if the phone lines are down.
Being an alternate form of communication is the ultimate reason, as survival is ultimate. Next, I've been excited about radio communication and the electric vibe from electronics since I was a kid in the seventies. I also enjoy the occasional militaristic discussion. I've always been a right proper sailor.

I'd look for people who share hobbies other than the one I picked up to find other people who share hobbies. It'd be great to meet for a board game. If I do happen to subtly introduce discourse, well, we're off the air.

Also, they no longer require Morse code (which is what held me off for so long)
That was a plus for me too.

I look forward to SSTV
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-iss-is-sending-tv-signals-to-amateur-radio-nerds

Jack89

Quote from: trdsf on May 26, 2016, 01:28:16 PM
Finally went and got my Technician license at Dayton Hamvention last week -- any other amateur radio operators out there?
Congrats on getting your license.  I just got mine a couple of weeks ago.  I went ahead and got my General Class license while I was at it.  It wasn't that hard  I figured I might as well have access to the HF Bands as well.  Now I have to save up and buy something better than my cheap HT :) 

I have zero experience at this point, but I joined a local club and will be picking their brains. 

trdsf

Quote from: Jack89 on May 27, 2016, 08:00:33 PM
Congrats on getting your license.  I just got mine a couple of weeks ago.  I went ahead and got my General Class license while I was at it.  It wasn't that hard  I figured I might as well have access to the HF Bands as well.  Now I have to save up and buy something better than my cheap HT :) 

I have zero experience at this point, but I joined a local club and will be picking their brains.
Yeah, I haven't gotten on the air yet myself, but if the necessity arises, I can.  So far the weather hasn't cooperated on that count.

Maybe I should've gone for my General, but I only studied the Technician material, so I definitely wasn't prepared for anything more advanced.  Maybe next Hamvention.

Mike Cl

I'm afraid the only ham I'm interested in is the kind you combine with cheese and slap onto two pieces of good hearty bread!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: gentle_dissident on May 27, 2016, 07:06:01 PM
That's what I meant.
Being an alternate form of communication is the ultimate reason, as survival is ultimate. Next, I've been excited about radio communication and the electric vibe from electronics since I was a kid in the seventies. I also enjoy the occasional militaristic discussion. I've always been a right proper sailor.
And that's the reason that the spotter community recommends it -- even if the cellular towers go down (or the call volume is so high you can't get through anyway) the radio frequencies are all still there.

I'd look for people who share hobbies other than the one I picked up to find other people who share hobbies. It'd be great to meet for a board game. If I do happen to subtly introduce discourse, well, we're off the air.
That was a plus for me too.
Funny thing is, the hams I know, I knew from offline.  I haven't met anyone over the air yet.  Still looking for that first QSL...

I look forward to SSTV
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-iss-is-sending-tv-signals-to-amateur-radio-nerds
Oh my Bob.  I have to access that.  That was fucking awesome.  :D

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 29, 2016, 08:04:50 PM
I'm afraid the only ham I'm interested in is the kind you combine with cheese and slap onto two pieces of good hearty bread!
You would say that while I'm dieting... :D

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on May 29, 2016, 08:11:54 PM
You would say that while I'm dieting... :D
Dieting--what a horrid concept!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 29, 2016, 09:34:14 PM
Dieting--what a horrid concept!!
Yeah, but I'm adjusting to the new rules, and it's hard to argue with already having dropped 15 pounds.

Meanwhile, radio-wise, the programming cable arrived yesterday and I have successfully programmed my HH with all the local Skywarn frequencies (and KILN, the local NWS weather radio).  Nice to have something work right out of the box the way it's supposed to!