News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Yes, they are that crazy.

Started by trdsf, May 26, 2016, 01:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Trump clinched the GOP nomination today.

If you tried to write this campaign as part of a political thriller, you could never get it published on the grounds of being too unrealistic.  And I don't know whether to make popcorn and watch, or make a stiff drink and weep.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on May 26, 2016, 01:25:26 PM

If you tried to write this campaign as part of a political thriller, you could never get it published on the grounds of being too unrealistic.  And I don't know whether to make popcorn and watch, or make a stiff drink and weep.

QuoteOn Wednesday, the New York billionaire suggested going against Mr Sanders in a TV debate in California before the state's primary on 7 June.

Mr Sanders agreed to the debate in a tweet, saying "Game on".

And what's Hillary supposed to do while Trump is debating Sanders.  This is totally weird.  Serves no purpose, other than exclude Hillary, who will be the nominee.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: SGOS on May 26, 2016, 01:40:16 PM
And what's Hillary supposed to do while Trump is debating Sanders.  This is totally weird.  Serves no purpose, other than exclude Hillary, who will be the nominee.

Ken Ham vs Bill Nye, Round 2

Hydra009

QuoteOn Wednesday, the New York billionaire suggested going against Mr Sanders in a TV debate in California before the state's primary on 7 June.

Mr Sanders agreed to the debate in a tweet, saying "Game on".
Gotta love Sanders' enthusiasm.  Game on is exactly the right response.  It sure beats imperiously demanding that your opponent change his tone before deigning to debate him.

trdsf

The problem -- and I say this as a Sanders man -- is that a Trump/Sanders debate before the conventions will only serve to solidify the "Bernie or Bust" contingent and make them less amenable to voting for Hillary in the fall, and let's be honest, she's going to need to pick up some of those voters.  I think this is exactly why the idea would appeal to Trump, who's been unsubtly suggesting that Bernie run as an independent, knowing it will hurt Hillary more than himself.

To the best of my knowledge, an inter-party candidates' debate before the nominating conventions would be unprecedented, although there may have been a minor one of which I am unaware.

As for Trump toning it down before a debate with Hillary, oh, no.  She's on the wrong foot there.  She needs him to be an idiot, and not to appear presidential in any way.  She needs to rile him up so he shoots off his mouth even more, and preferably so he says something unconscionable on live TV that he can't spin his way out of.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Nonsensei

Quote from: SGOS on May 26, 2016, 01:40:16 PM

Hillary excluded herself by adopting a campaign strategy based on pretending Sanders no longer exists. Sanders asked her for another debate. She refused, so he is going to debate the only other presidential candidate left.

She's left out? Her fault.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

_Xenu_

Personally, I would just laugh. While they may be somewhat even in national polls, only the electoral college matters. The New York Times did the math recently and here are the results. Let me tell you a secret: Its not even close.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/04/upshot/electoral-map-trump-clinton.html

I for one welcome our newly returned Clinton overlords.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

marom1963

I don't like it, but I think that Trump is the next POTUS. Clinton is unlikely to win. Sanders just won't get out of the way.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

marom1963

Quote from: _Xenu_ on May 26, 2016, 04:00:40 PM
Personally, I would just laugh. While they may be somewhat even in national polls, only the electoral college matters. The New York Times did the math recently and here are the results. Let me tell you a secret: Its not even close.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/04/upshot/electoral-map-trump-clinton.html

I for one welcome our newly returned Clinton overlords.
Your attachment also shows a possible Trump win. Clinton is not assured a victory. I, for one, don't have that much faith in her winning. I think that Trump has a good shot.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

SGOS

Quote from: Nonsensei on May 26, 2016, 03:28:49 PM
Hillary excluded herself by adopting a campaign strategy based on pretending Sanders no longer exists. Sanders asked her for another debate. She refused, so he is going to debate the only other presidential candidate left.

She's left out? Her fault.

I didn't realize she had done that.  I don't have a TV, so I miss a lot of key issues, not that I'm interested in most of them.  I go to a friend's house to watch a debate once in a while, but I've had enough debates to do me for now.  I will watch one of the Trump/Clinton debates, but probably not more than one.  They get pretty repetitive.  Sadly, I've written off Sanders.  Not because I don't like him.  I love the man, and I hate to see him go.  He was a brief if only a faint light of hope for a short time.

reasonist

Quote from: SGOS on May 26, 2016, 04:15:11 PM
I didn't realize she had done that.  I don't have a TV, so I miss a lot of key issues, not that I'm interested in most of them.  I go to a friend's house to watch a debate once in a while, but I've had enough debates to do me for now.  I will watch one of the Trump/Clinton debates, but probably not more than one.  They get pretty repetitive.  Sadly, I've written off Sanders.  Not because I don't like him.  I love the man, and I hate to see him go.  He was a brief if only a faint light of hope for a short time.

The US is just not ready for such a drift to the left. Too bad, Sanders is the only candidate with a vision for the future.
Trump said today that Obama did a horrible job. Hmm. During Obama's reign:

9 million jobs added
Unemployment rate down to 4.9%
Corporate profits up 166%
18 million more have health insurance
Wind and solar power tripled
62% less petro imports
Exports up 31%
Violent crime down 16%
Homicides down 13%

I could go on but it shows you how full of hot air Trump is.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

Why choose?  Make whiskey glaze for your popcorn, instead of caramel ;-)

I heard from one source, that these debates will be fund raisers for charity?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

Meh. Sanders could do the right thing at this point and work to bolster the Dems rather than keep campaigning. Debating Trump? Whatever, but I don't see any point to it. Either he or Elizabeth Warren for VP would be cool.

Hydra009

Quote from: reasonist on May 26, 2016, 04:31:46 PM
The US is just not ready for such a drift to the left. Too bad, Sanders is the only candidate with a vision for the future.
Trump said today that Obama did a horrible job. Hmm. During Obama's reign:

9 million jobs added
Unemployment rate down to 4.9%
Corporate profits up 166%
18 million more have health insurance
Wind and solar power tripled
62% less petro imports
Exports up 31%
Violent crime down 16%
Homicides down 13%

I could go on but it shows you how full of hot air Trump is.
Yeah but during Obama, illegal immigrant/rapist numbers have skyrocketed.  Source.

It's a lot like how God's not allowed in schools anymore, Christians are oppressed, Obama's taking away people's guns and sneaking perverts in women's bathrooms.  From a certain point of view, Obama's tenure has been a disaster.  But only if that point of view is deliberate ignorance.

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli on May 26, 2016, 08:01:26 PM
Meh. Sanders could do the right thing at this point and work to bolster the Dems rather than keep campaigning. Debating Trump? Whatever, but I don't see any point to it. Either he or Elizabeth Warren for VP would be cool.

He would do better to campaign for an independent candidate, since he was never a Democrat.  The Libertarian Party is waiting for his support.  The Dems and Repubs both need to go away.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.