News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nothingness

Started by SoldierofFortune, May 17, 2016, 09:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on May 17, 2016, 09:13:41 PM
Can nothingness be imagined, by an ''observer''? while the observer himself is something(an existent)...

I'm not talking about ''empty space'' by the term nothingness...There shouldn't be a volume...no dimension...Go back in time until the moment of bigbang...Or What is there beyond the expanding cosmos? Expanding cosmos are creating a volume...

I can't imagine...

Another question: ''Why is there something; instead of nothingness? Nothingness would be more logical : )

There is only one way for there to be nothing at all, but there are an infinity of ways for something to be the case. So it's much more (infinitely) likely for there to be something rather than nothing.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on May 18, 2016, 12:58:42 PM
The definition of nothing is the absence of everything.

Nothing is what I was before I was conceived. I will be a rotting corpse when I'm dead, but I will no longer think. Therefore I won't even know knowing. Perhaps someone could make me into an umbrella stand. I would then be something to the living.

Turning from someone into something ... sounds pretty ugly.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on May 18, 2016, 01:01:14 PM
The conservation of energy makes me think of bubble universes.

You get them in the bubble bath, but the galaxies are very very small ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2016, 07:31:05 PM
Turning from someone into something ... sounds pretty ugly.

hrdlr110

Quote from: SGOS on May 18, 2016, 04:33:30 AM
It's kind of hard to grasp the idea.  I feel like I can approach the idea in my imagination, but never quite get there.

Exactly this! Just when I think I'm getting it........poof! It's the most mind blowing thought process ever.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

SkyChief

There's no such thing as absolute nothingness.  In this universe, anyway.  Because even after you remove every speck of matter,  and every micro-joule of energy, you're still left with a quantum field.  Which is something, even though it cannot be observed, detected, or measured.

Its difficult to say if the quantum field existed before the Big Bang. The brainiacs have tried to use math to come up with a plausible model of the moment just prior to the Big Bang.  But the math fails.  Because the only number that existed in that brief moment was 1 [the singularity].

The only mathematical equations which could possibly have existed at that moment is 1 x 1 (∞) = 1 

and 1 ÷ 1 (∞) = 1

Both of which, of course, are meaningless. 

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein