News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Something is not right in my head

Started by wolf39us, May 27, 2016, 08:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Don't shoot the horse just yet. drivers can scare you, but as your ability grows your confidence will also. I had an Ossa Stiletto 250 2 stroke that was built up for a motocrosser, and that sucker was scary. You went from putt putt to wheelie in one crank of the throttle. Eventually I tamed the beast, though I daresay I put er' down a few times. But you can do that on a dirt bike. I think it was aitm that mentioned doing some time on  a dirt bike. It will make you a better rider, if you get the chance.

You could also consider trading for an Adventure Touring bike, which is a different beast altogether. Another choice is a cruiser like a Honda Shadow. They are completely different in nature than your bike. Yours is designed to go lickety split, cruisers are more forgiving and have much gentler manners. 

SGOS

Quote from: wolf39us on May 28, 2016, 08:30:33 AM
The probability of me getting into a serious crash on my motorcycle is much higher than the car (39x more likely to die or get seriously injured).

Hmmm, I was thinking about that yesterday, as I was lurking in this thread.  I was guessing about the same probabilities, and came up with "around 50x" more likely.

Quote from: wolf39us on May 28, 2016, 08:30:33 AM
I think my risk "limit" is somewhere between injury in a car and injury on a motorcycle.

I will probably ride a few more times and enjoy the bike a little more, but I'm almost positive I will be getting rid of this thing before the season is up and give up bikes.  I'm going to find a different hobby lol

I owned a Honda Scrambler back in the 60s for exactly one summer season.  I had 1 serious close call, and a whole bunch of other scrapes and bruises.  By the end of the summer, the handlebars were bent, it was missing fenders, and other assorted dents, most of which were far from life threatening.  Mostly I rode in the woods, up creek bottoms flowing with water, over stumps, and over jumps, often culminating in crashes that damaged the bike more than my body. 

On the one occasion where I almost lost my life (no injury actually occurred), I came to a stop a few feet from the canyon rim I was about to go airborne over, I was emotionally shaken.  Had I taken that 200 foot fall and survived, most of my life would have been drastically changed, although it's doubtful I would have survived it.

I got rid of the bike the next summer, not that it wasn't a lot of fun, but it wasn't fun enough to warrant buying another one, or taking that hobby any further.  The risk factor did weigh in, but mostly, the whole experience just wasn't worth the financial cost or the health risks.

I know the County Sherriff where I lived wasn't big on motorcycles.  He had seen a disproportionate share of human road kill connected to motorcycles.

aitm

Well, Wolf, knowing you don't or didn't have the kind of money that allowed both, you are probably on the right side of your head. If you could afford both, don't ride the bike daily. Take it out of town on the weekends and do some riding up the hills and back roads, thats where the wind and the drive make you alive….(didn't mean to make it rhyme but it did)

I gave up bikes and picked up a less dangerous toy but far more expensive… a boat.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on May 28, 2016, 09:09:36 AM
Don't shoot the horse just yet. drivers can scare you, but as your ability grows your confidence will also. I had an Ossa Stiletto 250 2 stroke that was built up for a motocrosser, and that sucker was scary. You went from putt putt to wheelie in one crank of the throttle. Eventually I tamed the beast, though I daresay I put er' down a few times. But you can do that on a dirt bike. I think it was aitm that mentioned doing some time on  a dirt bike. It will make you a better rider, if you get the chance.

You could also consider trading for an Adventure Touring bike, which is a different beast altogether. Another choice is a cruiser like a Honda Shadow. They are completely different in nature than your bike. Yours is designed to go lickety split, cruisers are more forgiving and have much gentler manners.
I really liked my time on a dirt bike.  In the dirt away from roads and cars I had a blast.  If I put it down (and I did) it was my fault and I never had a serious injury.  I loved riding the bike, but was super cautious on the road.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?