Recognise Islamophobia As A Form Of Racism

Started by pr126, March 27, 2013, 01:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: "pr126"Even on this forum, (lost now) there was a thread about Michelle Bachman, doing a character assasination on her because she dared to ask uncomfortable questions.
Michelle Bachman is batshit crazy, and her character is already dead by her own hands to anyone with any sense, and has been for years prior. Seriously. If you want to make a case that there is some dastardly character assassinations over uncomfortable questions concerning Islam, you need to find a more credible person than Bachman.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Sal1981

Quote from: "Hakurei Reimu"
Quote from: "pr126"Even on this forum, (lost now) there was a thread about Michelle Bachman, doing a character assasination on her because she dared to ask uncomfortable questions.
Michelle Bachman is batshit crazy, and her character is already dead by her own hands to anyone with any sense, and has been for years prior. Seriously. If you want to make a case that there is some dastardly character assassinations over uncomfortable questions concerning Islam, you need to find a more credible person than Bachman.
(emphasis mine)
Poison the Well much?

Doesn't matter what their mental health is, a point should be proven or disproven irregardless of their persona.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: "Sal1981"
(emphasis mine)
Poison the Well much?

Doesn't matter what their mental health is, a point should be proven or disproven irregardless of their persona.
Then let someone else ask the question, because someone who sees government conspiracy in census forms, to the point where she encourages people not to send them in, is in no position to be taken seriously and quite frankly shouldn't be in office in the first place.

She's batshit insane, so any of her ravings... sorry, "uncomfortable questions," should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
(she bites!)

Sal1981

Quote from: "Sal1981"Poison the Well much?

Then let someone else ask the question, because someone who sees government conspiracy in census forms, to the point where she encourages people not to send them in, is in no position to be taken seriously and quite frankly shouldn't be in office in the first place.

She's batshit insane, so any of her ravings... sorry, "uncomfortable questions," should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
If she was elected into office the fault lies at the voting system and the majority vote for placing her there.

I honestly don't know much about Michelle Bachman or this issue, but you can't just dismiss something because it's uncomfortable, it should stand or fall upon merit of the issue itself, not because we don't like who's asking the question.

I don't deny people ask stupid questions, zapping our mental strength, but as soon as we lose control and start with denigration, it stops  being about the issue and becomes personal instead.

Jmpty

Quote from: "pr126"So far it is working.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam  - Barack Obama, UN speech, September 2012

Those who dare even to question are vilified, pillored, marginalized and needed to get rid of.

Example:

Michelle Bachman asked to investigate Muslim Brotherhood presence in the Obama administration. (and there are quite a few).
QuotePeople for the American Way has collected more than 86,000 signatures on a petition urging House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, to remove Bachmann from the committee, which often reviews classified documents. The group plans to deliver the signatures next week to Boehner, who is responsible for naming the committee's Republican members.
source

Even on this forum, (lost now) there was a thread about Michelle Bachman, doing a character assasination on her because she dared to ask uncomfortable questions.

Show me one shred of credible evidence of a Muslim brotherhood presence in the Obama administration. Not some idiotic Islam watch website's paranoid fantasy, some CREDIBLE evidence. Uncomfortable my ass. Stupid, inane, idiotic, maybe, but not uncomfortable. Bachman is an ultra right wing Christian birther, who propogated the death panel rumour, whos' husband runs a clinic to "fix" gay people,from a tiny, uber right wing district in minnesota. The only reason she is still in congress is due to gerrymandering, and she still barely won. She, and her ideas, are an embarrassment to my home state, and my country.
???  ??

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: "Sal1981"If she was elected into office the fault lies at the voting system and the majority vote for placing her there.
This does not dismiss the point that Bachmann is batshit insane.

Quote from: "Sal1981"I honestly don't know much about Michelle Bachman or this issue, but you can't just dismiss something because it's uncomfortable, it should stand or fall upon merit of the issue itself, not because we don't like who's asking the question.
Like I said, if Michelle's question is legit, then let someone else examine it and decide if it's worth asking, because someone who sees conspiracies everywhere cannot be trusted to spot a real conspiracy anywhere.

Quote from: "Sal1981"I don't deny people ask stupid questions, zapping our mental strength, but as soon as we lose control and start with denigration, it stops  being about the issue and becomes personal instead.
Sorry, but in real life, credibility matters. Nobody with any smarts listens to Fox news on anything but the most trivial matters, because we know they lie through their teeth. People should not trust the Onion to deliver real news (the fact that some do notwithstanding), because we know that they're a spoof news source. Someone who is so ignorant of how her own government works to not realize that if enough people don't turn in their census forms that her own seat may disappear from under her, instead continuing on how the census is a front for some government conspiracy, should have their every word looked upon with a jaunticed eye.
(she bites!)

mnmelt

Fuck that. Islam isn't a race

Check and Mate..!!!
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

GurrenLagann

To claim that 'Islamophobia' is racist is to make the claimant themselves shown to be discriminatory, because it tries to reduce Muslims down to a race (Arabs) - which they aren't - and then claim prejudice against them. It's an ironic piece of bullshit.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Sal1981

Quote from: "Sal1981"I don't deny people ask stupid questions, zapping our mental strength, but as soon as we lose control and start with denigration, it stops  being about the issue and becomes personal instead.
Sorry, but in real life, credibility matters.
I have to concede that it does. It's annoying that it does, because at its core the whole concept of credibility relies on past experiences, it says nothing about specifics someone puts forward now, credible or not. It should be about an issue, and try to ignore who puts that issue forward.

I'm sympathetic about a persons credibility and I would be lying if I didn't listen with more awareness and positive inclination to someone that I admired from what they've said and done in the past. Hell, if someone like Neil deGrasse Tyson said some creationist bollocks, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, although I probably would be skeptical. I think this is a fault, really - but what can we do, we're only human.

Quote from: "Hakurei Reimu"Nobody with any smarts listens to Fox news on anything but the most trivial matters, because we know they lie through their teeth. People should not trust the Onion to deliver real news (the fact that some do notwithstanding), because we know that they're a spoof news source. Someone who is so ignorant of how her own government works to not realize that if enough people don't turn in their census forms that her own seat may disappear from under her, instead continuing on how the census is a front for some government conspiracy, should have their every word looked upon with a jaunticed eye.
All that comes from experience. They probably deserve to be looked upon skeptically because they have spun crap before, consistently. Still, I can't shake that there's some middle-road that should determine if something is true or not on its own merit versus credibility.

Minimalist

QuoteEven on this forum, (lost now) there was a thread about Michelle Bachman, doing a character assasination on her because she dared to ask uncomfortable questions.

Actually, it is because Bachman is the stupidest cunt in Washington.  She is a liar, a fool and a hypocrite.  Citing her as some sort of model does not help you.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

pr126

QuoteActually, it is because Bachman is the stupidest cunt in Washington. She is a liar, a fool and a hypocrite
Isn't that a required attribute  to get elected for congress? She qualifies admirably.

Bibliofagus

:lol:
We should all pay attention to Bachman's wise words. And apologise to her too for being meany.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Mister Agenda

I have issues with stereotyping of Muslims, but it isn't racism because Muslims aren't a race. Words mean things.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

SilentFutility

Ridiculous. You can't be a victim of racism for being muslim by definition, just the same as you can't be a victim of sexism for being a dolphin.

It might be possible to go to the archives and search for it?

Belial

Id like to add that, how Islam is practiced, comes down to things related to more than just the religion itself.

Countries involved in corruption and fighting and war in these times, often may be muslim, however, theyre also impoverished, lack resources and to be fair, education.

There are, many muslims here in the US, who view Islam, of course much more different than counterparts on the other side of the world.  I appreciate those who dont generalize. thank you.