News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Help fund my movie

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, May 07, 2016, 12:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

I'm on the final stretch, but the prior setbacks have cost us quite a bit.  I need help to get this finished, to pay for locations and insurance.

Null Zone Movie
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Jason Harvestdancer

Oh, donations are tax deductible.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

AllPurposeAtheist

Sorry Jason, but I have other projects that if I'm going to throw money at them they have to help more people than just the people in the movie and alien invasions aren't my thing. Now if your goal was to help put homeless people in homes in a sustainable fashion where it was truly affordable I might help, but movie making? No dice..
My gf already helped to fund one movie that was an absolute flop and it was by people who work every day in the industry.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

gentle_dissident

You might have better luck if you post some footage. As it's SciFi, you should also hint at the film's deeper message.

Sorry, I'm broke and am working on my own projects to bring about Utopia. My latest film project is animation. That gives me freedom and no budget. I live with free voice talent. I'm also an artist, composer, and editor. I spent my life creating things on a shoestring. I've never considered insurance for my film actors in college. The profs never brought it up. We never paid for locations. Have you seen Ed Wood?

Jason Harvestdancer

I don't have any footage yet, because we're raising funds to start filming.  But I can give you a synopsis.

It is a Doctor Who fanfic, it is set in the Doctor Who universe, but it doesn't include the Doctor.  It's all original characters in an established universe.

Nell Rothbard is a high school girl who is brilliant and, although she doesn't realize it, is mildly psychic.  She wakes up one morning to find a note on her nightstand asking her for help fighting an alien menace that has crash-landed in the Antelope Valley of Southern California.  It turns out the menace is psychic and Nell is immune to takeover, although her best friend isn't.  She eventually confronts the alien himself and a psychic battle ensues.

Yet none of this is supposed to happen in the Antelope Valley, because it is a "Null Zone", a place where nothing interesting is supposed to happen.

Jason Harvestdancer

As for the insurance, at the three locations that I have to pay for the property owners require it.  It's not optional, I wish it was.

AllPurposeAtheist

Call the Trumpster and promise you'll vote for him..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on May 08, 2016, 02:51:32 PM
fanfic
That's how my daughter and her friends started. I let them know that they just have to change the names to make their stories original. They now have a few seasons of anime written. She's 15, so she's good at mimicking the randomness of anime.

My GF writes pulp, but she also delves in fanfic. I don't understand the appeal. How will you recoup your investment?

So, the underlying message is that exciting things can happen in non eventful places?

Jason Harvestdancer

I suppose you could say that's an underlying message.  There is another, a quote by the main characters.

NELL
Robert, do you remember that quote?

ROBERT
Which one?

NELL
No matter how noble your goals, no matter how pure your ideals, no matter how good your intentions...

ROBERT
If you look down and discover you’re eating babies, you’re no longer the good guy.

Jason Harvestdancer

Nell Rothbard is one of the smartest people in the world and mildly psychic. She wakes up one morning to find a mysterious benefactor (who the audience will know is the Doctor) leaves her a note on her nightstand asking her to take care of a small problem for her, that he's busy and supposed to be dead, and would she take care of it or the Earth is doomed. The threat is a psychic alien who is intent on taking over the world by taking over peoples minds.

During the course of the adventure she discovers that her parents are actually political refugees from the future, that her mother (deceased) was genetically engineered to have a superior brain and that is where she inherited both her intelligence and her psychic aptitude. They moved to the Antelope Valley because it is a Null Zone, a place where nothing interesting is supposed to happen.

Since this is non-profit (seriously, I'm not planning on making a dime and have already spent more than the final $1k on this out of personal funds) I'm using the fan-fiction exception to copyright law. Unlike those bastards at Fox, the BBC is generally fairly tolerant of fanfic.

Jason Harvestdancer

7 days left, $800 towards our goal of $1000 with $200 left to go.

Jason Harvestdancer

I have huge news.  Not only did we meet our funding goal, we just cast Jasmine Jessica Anthony in the lead!