Women, Here's Something Else to Worry About: Resting Bitch Face

Started by SGOS, May 03, 2016, 10:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Apparently, there's even a name for the purely physical condition, Resting Bitch Face, which computer software can now detect, although humans have been attuned to it for years.  Not that your personality or careers are going to go up in smoke.  Lot's of famous celebrities have been identified with it, and some are even self aware.  It also occurs in men, but societal pressures make it a more acceptable physical trait for men than women.

Science marches on:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/02/02/scientists-have-discovered-the-source-of-your-resting-bitch-face/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_3_na

QuoteQueen Elizabeth has it. So does fashion designer Victoria Beckham. And actress Kristen Stewart â€" poor thing, she’s practically the poster girl.

Among the slew of pop culture icons said to be afflicted with so-called Resting Bitch Face (alternatively known as Bitchy Resting Face), the vast majority are women, though Kanye West is among the male examples. All of them have been mocked by Internet commenters for having a certain unintentional expression when their faces are not in motion  â€" a look best described as vaguely annoyed, maybe a little judgy, perhaps slightly bored.

Since the RBF meme took over the Internet in 2013, fueled by a viral mock-PSA about “Bitchy Resting Face,” legions of people have identified the dreaded phenomenon in celebrity listicles, in their own social circles, even in the mirror.

So Jason Rogers and Abbe Macbeth, behavioral researchers with international research and innovation firm Noldus Information Technology, decided to investigate: Why are some faces seen as truly expressionless, but others are inexplicably off-putting? What, exactly, makes us register a seemingly neutral expression as RBF?

TomFoolery

You've never heard of resting bitch face?

I use it all the time. It's actually my natural state. It's why no one ever hits on me, and I'm fine with that. For all the women who lament that they can never get anything done because they're having to chase boys off with sticks, my first answer is usually to get rid of the come-hither bedroom eyes and work on the resting bitch face.

It's by no means fool proof, but it certainly helps. Body language is still language, and when you're broadcasting to men a face that suggests you'd rather breastfeed orphaned wolverines than flirt with them, most men tend to get the point.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Shiranu

As a guy with Male Resting Bitch Face... it's annoying but it is what it is.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

In my case...

And the best one EVER...I mean look how 'is it really subtle?' and perfect it is...

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on May 03, 2016, 01:16:59 PM
As a guy with Male Resting Bitch Face... it's annoying but it is what it is.

I'd never heard of it before, but one of the reasons I took interest in the article, is that I have it too.  I was first aware of it high school when a girl sitting next to me remarked that I looked like I was sad.  A couple of other kids also noted facial expressions that weren't at all reflecting what I was actually feeling, so I looked in a mirror and noticed right away that when my facial muscles were relaxed, I looked possibly sad, but more like I was disapproving.  Changing the expression to a smile, felt forced, like I was actually expending energy, but I decided that I would smile while talking when I was expressing something happy.  At first, it was difficult, but after 6 months or so, it became second nature.  In fact, it even felt natural.  I actually noticed a difference in how people reacted to me.  I now find it easy, even natural, to smile while I'm talking.  If I'm not talking, it still feels forced to try and smile, unless someone is saying something really funny or outrageous.

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on May 03, 2016, 12:24:26 PM
You've never heard of resting bitch face?

I use it all the time. It's actually my natural state. It's why no one ever hits on me, and I'm fine with that. For all the women who lament that they can never get anything done because they're having to chase boys off with sticks, my first answer is usually to get rid of the come-hither bedroom eyes and work on the resting bitch face.

It's by no means fool proof, but it certainly helps. Body language is still language, and when you're broadcasting to men a face that suggests you'd rather breastfeed orphaned wolverines than flirt with them, most men tend to get the point.

It's a new term for me.  Some women do have a bitchy look, which doesn't always match up with their inner person.  I used to think it was how they used makeup.  I often associate cultivated narrow eyebrows with bitchy, and there might be other subtle uses of makeup that enhance it also.  A bitchy look isn't necessarily unattractive either.  I get this signal that a challenge is at hand, and to be on my toes.  Although, it's less enticing than a softer friendly look.  Sometimes of course, women are bitchy, and sometimes for good reason.  My ex used to brag about it.  She had girlfriends that bragged about being bitches too, and sometimes they were very good at it.

Nonsensei

A condition often misdiagnosed. Some twats out there think if you aren't wearing a smile brighter than the sun then you have resting bitch face.

I don't have resting bitch face, I just don't like you enough to put any effort into pseudo-mandatory social niceties.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Shiranu

Quote from: Nonsensei on May 03, 2016, 02:22:30 PM
A condition often misdiagnosed. Some twats out there think if you aren't wearing a smile brighter than the sun then you have resting bitch face.

I don't have resting bitch face, I just don't like you enough to put any effort into pseudo-mandatory social niceties.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

stromboli

I've been off the forum for a few days. I came back on here just to congratulate you-you are speaking for many of us, certainly for me. thank you.

SGOS

A condition often misdiagnosed.

Right.  It can be.  It's only when it doesn't reflect your true feelings that it presents an incongruence that people pickup.  Presenting your true feelings in both body language and verbiage is being honest, and helps make communication clear. 

stromboli

PickelledEggs

Resting bitch face is old news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v98CPXNiSk

Guys have it too, by the way. I look like a fucking prick when I'm resting my glorious smile. I can't be smiling all the fucking time, for fuck's sake! It's tiring!

I'm actually a little over-transparent, in person. Verbally and through body language. Some girl asked me why I'm so nice to her even though I hate her. (she was just being paranoid, like she always is). I told her "I can't say I 'like' you, but I don't.... dislike you. Relax. I'd tell you if I didn't like you. Haven't made up my mind yet."
I'm not going to be mean to someone that I don't even know for sure that I dislike. I only dislike enough people to barely count on one hand. Similarly, I only like about 20 people. The rest is a huge "idk", so I'm nice to them anyway. Why kill an opportunity for a friendship by being a prick to someone you haven't properly felt out yet?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 03, 2016, 01:18:27 PM
In my case...

And the best one EVER...I mean look how 'is it really subtle?' and perfect it is...

Wait! You look just like Sofia Loren 40 years ago ?  I knew it! 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

I wish I did,lol.

Wait, isn't that Vivien Leigh? Anyway, I am not good with old hollywood stars, I wouldn't know.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AllPurposeAtheist

Looks are often very deceiving..In public I tend to have a scowl just to keep the morons away. It's not that I generally hate everyone, but in my youth I got in quite a few fights so I got used to being on guard. I'm usually very easy to talk with and I'm not very hateful, but that deceptive look works in public to ward off those who might take me as an easy mark.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.